Pages

Thursday 14 March 2019

Show don’t tell

This week in my English class we are learning to write narratives about "Show don't tell"
I think show don't tell means to paint a picture in the reader's
head without telling them what is happening

Here are some examples
1. The buildings were tall.
The buildings were Like skyscrapers.
2. Sarah was really upset.
Sarah's face was like a river leading to an ocean of
sadness.
3. She was so happy to see him.
Her face was full of joy.
4. The lake was beautiful.

The lake was shining as if it were the moon.


Here are my three examples


1. The rainbow was colorful


The rainbow was flowing as if it were a river

of multicolored streamers

2. The boy was scared.


The boy was frozen with fear unable to move.


3. The bridge was sturdy.


The bridge was like an invincible passage to safety.




Here are three opening descriptions with settings


a modern day in a city...... A street full of people walking at full speed not noticing the golden brown leaves slowly falling to the ground

A made-up fantasy land...
... the sun is setting over a castle full of knights and a king, there is also a place called the Enchanted woods. It is full of ogres and gremlins

Aboard a vessel, such as a spaceship, in the far-off future...

... machines that turn carbon dioxide into air machines that use mater particles to make things like water and food and materials like metal


Describe your Protagonist



My name is: Richard
The name I like to be called is: Richard
My birthday is: 12/3/1897
I live in: Africa
The people in my family are: not involved
I live with:no one
My interests include: exploring ruins, old temples and pyramids
Usually in the weekend I: take a break at the pub
A dream/goal I have is: to become a world famous explorer
Words that describe me are: smart, brave, careful and adventurous
My worst fear is: scorpions


Describe your Antagonist



My name is: Scar
The name I like to be called is: Scar
My birthday is: 13/7/1887
I live in: Africa
The people in my family are: not involved
I live with:no one
My interests include: stealing precious artifacts
Usually in the weekend I: plan out where I will steal from next
A dream/goal I have is: to become a billionaire
Words that describe me are: evil, cunning
My worst fear is: most reptiles

Here is a reflection on what I have learned


This week I learnt how to plan out a story properly which will help me become a better creative writer by helping me think of more details. I think my favorite part of this was creating my own person because I got to think of my own character. I think I work best after watching someone show me what I'm supposed to do and I prefer working in a group Then by myself. I found it 
Image result for show dont tell cliparthard to do the settings because I had to show/describe what it looked like while not actually saying what it looked like.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luke!

    I really enjoyed reading this post. They way you describe some of the settings was really cool and I could easily picture the places in my mind. For some of the show don't tell activities you still didn't really show (such as the first one). Maybe next time you could go into more detail.I did really enjoy how you described the rainbow though! The comparison to streamers was very clever.

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good! It's obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into all of these tasks. The 'show don't tell' was my favorite to read. One thing to work on would be capital letters and your puntucation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.