Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Quotes from the book children of blood and bone


Chapter 22 - Amari

I pause for a moment, aghast at the number of them filling the narrow path. Before today, I caught only glimpses of the laborers brought in to staff the palace—always pleasant, clean, groomed to Mother’s satisfaction. Like Binta, I thought they lived simple lives, safe within the palace walls. I never considered where they came from, where else they might have ended up, “Skies…” It’s almost too hard to bear the sight. Mostly, diviners, the laborers outnumber the villagers by hordes, dressed in nothing but tattered rags. Their dark skin blisters under the scorching sun, marred by the dirt and sand seemingly burned into their beings. Each is hardly more than a walking skeleton. 

a message I take from this scene is that Amari felt bad for the people being poorly treated because she thought that they lived better lives

Chapter 26 - Inan

“How long?” she breathes. “How long have you been a Maji?”
She hisses the word like it’s a curse. Like I’m the spitting image of Lekan. Not the boy she’s known since birth. The soldier she’s trained for years.
“The girl infected me. It’s not permanent.”
“You’re lying.” Her lips peel back in disgust. “Are you…are you working with her?”
“No! I was looking for clues!” I step forward. “I know where she is–”
“Stay back!” Kaea screams. I freeze, hands in the air. There’s no recognition in her eyes.
Only unbridled fear.


A message I received from this scene is that he is seeing himself as being like Lekan


Chapter 28 – Amari

Be brave, Amari. This time I hold onto Binta’s words, wrapping them around my body like a suit of armor. I can be brave.

A message I received from this scene is amari is using bintas words to help her stay brave and trying to use that power to avenge binta


Chapter 33 – Zélie
Gods help us. I close my eyes, trying to drown the tragedy out. Through it all, the cheers never stop. The praise never ends. As we stand on the platform, the crowd rejoices as if there’s a reason to celebrate this bloodbath.
Beside me, Tzain holds me close; he hasn’t really let go since he carried me from the ship. He keeps his expression vacant, but I can sense his remorse.
Though the competitor in him has prevailed, we’re still covered in the blood of those who have fallen. We may have triumphed, but this is no victory.



A message I received from this scene is that z
élie in scared


Chapter 36 - Zélie

“Those are father’s words, Inan. His decisions. Not yours. We are our own people. We make our own choices.”
“But he’s right.” Inan’s voice cracks. “If we don’t stop magic, Orïsha will fall.”
His eyes return to me, and I tighten my grip on my staff. Try it, I want to bark. I’m done running away.
Amari redirects Inan’s line of vision, her delicate hands cupping the back of his head.
“Father is not the future of Orïsha, brother. We are. We stand on the right side of this. You can stand there, too.”

Inan stares at Amari, and for a moment I don’t know who he is. The ruthless captain; the little prince; the scared and broken Maji? There’s a longing in his eyes, a desire to give up the fight. But when he lifts his chin, the killer I know comes back.


A message I received from this scene is about making choices in life


Chapter 39 - Inan
My handshakes. The moment to kill still hangs between us. Yet I can’t bring myself to move.
Not when all I see is the scared and broken girl.
It’s like seeing her for the first time: the human behind the Maji. Fear embedded in the pain. The tragedy caused in Father’s name.
Father…
The truth sears, a bitter liquor burning down my throat.
Zélie’s memories don’t hold the villains Father always warned of. Only families, he tore apart.


A message I received from this scene is that Inan felt bad about
Zélies past and that it was his dads/the king's fault. knowing the truth can hurt but it can free you.


Chapter 41 – Inan

Looking at Zélie, I finally have the answer to the question I was too afraid to ask. I cannot be like Father.
I will not be that type of king.
I let go of her wrists, but inside I let go of so much more. Father’s tactics. His Orïsha. Everything I now realize I don’t want to be.
My duty has always been to my kingdom, but it must be for a better Orïsha. A new Orïsha.
A land in which a prince and a maji could coexist. A land where even Zélie and I could be a “we.”
If I am to truly fulfill my duty to my kingdom, that is the Orïsha I must lead.


A message I received from this scene is that Inan wanted the best for Orisha and thought that killing the Maji would do that but now he knows that isn't true. Being a good leader means not hurting others because they are different.

Chapter 49 – Amari

Strike, Amari. Father’s voice rings in my head, but it’s not his strength I need. Be brave, Amari. Binta soothes instead. Be the Lionaire.

A message I received from this scene is that strength is the ability to say no to someone who is telling you to do bad things no matter who it is


Chapter 59 – Zélie
“How will me coming back to Lagos solve any of that?” I ask. “As we speak,
your father calls for my head!”
“My father’s scared.” Inan shakes his head. “He’s misguided, but his fear is
justified. All the monarchy’s ever seen is the destruction maji can bring.
They’ve never experienced anything like this.” He gestures to the camp, face
alight with so much hope his smile practically glows in the darkness. “Zulaikha
created this in one moon, and there are already more diviners in Lagos than
anywhere else in Orïsha. Just imagine what we could accomplish with the
resources of the monarchy behind us.”


A message I take from this scene is that Inan thinks the king is just scared of the power of the Maji and thinks that they could make peace by making the king know that they aren't evil


Chapter 74 – InanNote: This time you have not been provided a quote from the story. This is an explanation.

King Saran firmly believes in duty over self. Peace between Maji and kosidán failed in the past, so he does not want to try again. Inan believes he must make a similar choice between his country and his heart. He makes the same choice as his father, even though the majacite sword blisters his own skin (this is symbolism). Inan gives up everything to be everything his Father wants.

A message I take from this scene is that Inan has to choose either do his duty or follow his heart which is probably a hard choice because if he chooses duty his true love dies and if he chooses his heart his dad could die.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.